Saturday, April 17, 2010

Seeking Inspiration: Only Time will tell



Photo from: Jessica Ortwerth


Dearest Devotees,

As I lie here in my bed, with my Lifehouse station on Pandora playing in the background, I think about all the lessons I've learnt from music. Sometimes, music leads me to self-discovery by acting as a mirror that reflects my feelings exactly. Sometimes it plays the part of the dutiful best friend that commiserates with me in hard times and celebrates good experiences with me. When I say that music is the inspiration, I really mean it because something about the music I listen to, whether it be the harmonies, melodies, or the lyrics, always gets me thinking. One of the most recent life discoveries I made was about time and its ability to put everything in perspective. The song is Only Time by Enya.


No one knows what tomorrow brings. Life is a long term project. The little things you do today, and everything that happens in your life each day, doesn't only affect you now but has some impact on who you are and who you will be in the future. In the short term, experiences are usually either positive or negative but this clear cut line tends to blur over time. For example, hurtful experiences in the present could make you a little more tentative about sharing yourself with others but they could also make you stronger against adversity. I really believe that good can come out of the bad in our lives. I also believe, that only time will tell if the bad or good experiences of today will become masterpieces of tomorrow. Earlier this week, I had a really bad relational experience with a guy friend of mine and it really shook me, so much so that it brought me to tears. I'm better now my darlings, but one of the good things that has come from this experience (aside from inner strength and increased closeness to God) is the strong feeling that in time it will push me to create a beautiful piece of art, maybe a song or a poem. Never Again, my new song, was taken in a totally new direction because of it . It's the most intense rock song I've ever written and I'm really excited to see how it turns out. But, I digress.


So darlings, the summary of all this is that only time will tell if what happens today will influence you more positively or negatively. Since art is bred from strong emotions, anything that affects us strongly is able to result in art, be it a poem on the joy of falling in love or even a presently funny story about an embarrassing blind date gone sour. Most importantly, remember that the past is past, don't dwell on it or fret about it. Instead face each day with a clean state and positive outlook on what lies ahead, and your journey through life will certainly be a happier and more fulfilled one.


***
Inspirational exercise for the week

Translate this picture into your favorite art form.



Photo from: we heart it

My translation
To all the guys who broke my heart and the girls who are like me,

I found him.

My soulmate.

I know it sounds odd, particularly to all you guys out there. After all, I was the girl that everyone sorta dated but never committed to. I was always the close-female friend-sorta girl friend type and never more. It started to get to me. I started wondering if I would ever find someone who truly loved. I began to despair.

Then, I met him.

He challenges my mind. He accepts my individuality and loves my quirks. He encourages my wild and crazy dreams. He loves me fully and completely, and I love him.

How can I not?

He is everything I ever wanted and more. I know he's not a dream because I could never have imagined someone so perfect for me. I give him my all, and he gives me his everything. We are completely in sync and perfectly in tune with each other. Our love is forever.

So to the girls who are like me, know this: Love is real. It exists and it will exist for you.

Have hope.


***

Links I've loved lately:

This post on Click, Click went the needles is so full of sources of inspiration, it's astounding.

A of The Glamorous Grad Student really made me reflect on the words "retail therapy" in this post.

I just loved reading about where my lovely Zmaga hopes to be in 10 years.

Cafe Fashionista's new What if posts are so exciting! They give me license to let my mind wander.

This list on how to have more energy by Jacque of A Quirky Girl's Thoughts is just what I need right now.

I always wanted a Unicorn too, dearest Krissy :)


Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know what you think. How did you translate the picture above? How do you view your experiences? Do you tend to dwell in the day or look forward to the future? What inspired you this week? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

P.P.S Welcome to all my new devotees! You make me very happy!!!! I love you already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment