Thursday, January 21, 2010

Trendlight/How to Rock: Feathers and Flowers and Bows oh my!



I'm not exactly sure when it happened but somehow, over the course of the winter, statement hair accessories have risen to the top of many a stylista's must-have list. From big beautiful bows to dainty feathery hairbands, these statement hair accessories add instant glamour to any outfit and are quite easy to wear well. I adore them! When I cut my hair short at the beginning of winter, I was looking for something to accessorise and play up my new haircut and when I got to So Good Jewelry on Newbury Street I was astounded by the selection. They are like cocktail rings and dearest devotees, I love cocktail rings. If you haven't already bought some I totally recommend that you do while sales are still on because these are really good transition pieces that you can use to accessorise as it gets warmer.

How to rock


Like I said before they are relatively easy to use but here are a few tips on how to work them into an outfit.

1. Let them take centre stage on your face: I find that when you wear a really gorgeous hair accessory, earrings and make-up should be more low key, so that they don't have to fight for attention.


2. Pick a complementary or contrasting colour: Either will make a statement.

3. Be conscious of your hair style: It goes without saying that certain pieces go better with certain hair styles. Find the one that works best on your favorite hairstyle or get a variety like I have.

4. Try using using pieces in unusual ways: Why don't you work a scarf into your next updo? Or you could try attaching a flower pin to a gorgeous but simple headband.


5. Redefine the meaning of perfect occassion: Wear a vintage pearl and silver wedding-esque piece on a fun night out or a glamourous evening feathery band to class.


Photos from: glitz4girl.com and pluma


Love you all and Stay inspired,








P.S. So let me know what you think. What do you think of this trend? Do you own any fabulous hair accessories (vintage or otherwise)? How do you rock them? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment