Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 Artistic Retreat: Movie Day


Photo from: gettysgirl

Day 3: Movie Day!

Oh devotees, I am so excited about today! Why you may wonder? Because, ever since I read a paticular article on the Secret Society of List Addicts I have been looking for a day where I could devote my time to watching and analysing certain movies. You see, in many ways film and television are treasure chests of inspiration waiting to be uncovered. A lot of the time people claim watching television is a passive activity, but that doesn't mean it can't be active. Whenever I watch something with a particular goal in mind, I find that I become a lot more aware of what is happening on the screen. I'm kicked into analytic mode and begin to look at things in a more intense way. You know when you've just finished watching a movie and people ask you what it was about and you just can't (for the life of you) remember? Yeah, that doesn't happen to me when I'm like this.

The real object of the drama is the exhibition of the human character.

-Thomas Babington Macaulay

I believe that television and film evolved from drama and therefore aim to reflect common human experiences to the audience. Since art comes from powerful emotions caused by experiences, it follows that watching movies and tv shows should open your mind to different parts of life you may not have had firsthand experience in, giving you the opportunity to derive inspiration from them.

Assignment Summary:
  1. Get hold of movies that you feel may give you a peek into a life that is different from your own, whether its movies set in a different society, time, or world (They can be old or new, related to your field or not).


  2. Note things that you're attracted to/inspired by in these movies. Ask yourself the following questions:

-How is life in the movie different from your own life? How is it similar?

-What do you like about the movie? What don't you like?

-What you do you find interesting? Is it real/factual. Note it down for further research.

Write down your answers in the retreat notebook.

My Interpretation:

Like I mentioned before I'm watching/ rewatching all the movies on this list as well as some others like A walk to remember and The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm also going to watch some of my favorite style shows like Gok's Fashion Fix and Stylista. I strongly recommend Vicky Christina Barcelona, if you haven't watched it too. As usual, I'll get back to you with some of my answers later.

Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know what you think. What movies/shows are you watching? Why are you watching them. Feel free to let me know in your comments below.

P.P.S Sorry about the late post. My server was down for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment