Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If I Had One Wish... I would be a gypsy



Dearest Devotees,

Spinning silks in shades of light
Velvet dark as shadowed night.

Whirling dancers with eyes like jet
Centuries have not tamed us yet!




Ever since I first watched Gypsy Girl when I was 10, and read all of the books in the series by Elizabeth Arnold about a young gypsy girl who lived with her gypsy family in their caravan at the end of a suburban street, I've been intrigued by the romanticized gypsy life. All the colors in their clothes and in their homes, their free-spiritedness, closeness to nature and artistic abilities, their inherent quirkiness and individuality, and familial closeness caught my attention. Our shared love of traveling and the fact that I have spent most of my life on the move, also attracted me and ever since then my style has had some romany (gypsy-related) elements in it. If you are like me and harbor dreams of being a gypsy, read on.


Fashion and Style
The easiest way to embrace this style is by channeling your bohemian leanings. The bohemian trend was largely influenced by romany style dressing. So think gypsy skirts, peasant tops, tunics, exotic prints, tons of jewelry and color (especially jewel tones).



Beauty
When it comes to the gypsy style beauty there are two ways you can go: natural or jeweled. The Natural look has to do with accenting your current attributes in such a way that you don't look like you are wearing make-up. The jeweled look has to do with jewel tone polish and eye-shadow, smokey-black eyes with black mascara and eyeliner and lightly glosses lips.



What to do

Try out palm reading.

Go thrift store and antique shop hunting. You can probably pick up some really fantastic unique pieces for your wardrobe.

Listen to "indie" type music. Think lighthearted, light-spirited acoustic style music e.g anything Iron and Wine, Blue glass by Furlough, etc.

Go horseback riding.

Take your favorite art supplies ( notebook and pen, sketchbook and pencil, paints, camera, etc) and go to your closest connection to nature. Spend an afternoon allowing nature to inspire you.

Lay in a field and watch clouds go by or if its raining feel free to play in the rain.

Have friends and family over, and have a bonfire/campfire night out. Dance around the campfire.

Go flower and/or fruit picking.

Explore a nearby town, a different neighborhood, or if you can't physically go anywhere try heading to the library and distancing yourself from reality through reading.

Don't forget to have fun on your own and with other people.

Love you all and Stay inspired,




P.S. So let me know know what you think. Have you ever desired to be a traveller/gypsy/Romany? Feel free to let me know in the comments below.

P.P.S I am in no way an expert and honestly this is all for fun, and based off fictional gypsies. I do not intend to offend anyone and if you happen to know more about the subject I would most definitely love to hear from you via email at aury4eva@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment