Saturday, December 12, 2009

Seeking Inspiration: Using the past to inspire the present

(Picture From: Pauline Price at flickr)

Dearest Devotees,

So this week I've been very into the use of history and even things of the recent past to inspire the present. Over the past few weeks, my roommate and I have been declaring certain songs as our songs of the week and we would play each song over and over, find all its various music videos, remixes and versions, and generally dissect it and analyse it completely. And since music is so important to me, I feel like this is something I should share with you too. So after reading this post please check out the song of the week Hear You Me performed by Jimmy Eat World. It's basically about two friends of theirs, when they were just starting out, that would always go to different towns they were performing in, where they knew no one, and give them somewhere to stay. They were a major support system for them and Weezer in the beginning who were unfortunately killed in a car crash on their way back from a concert. These two women, Mykel and Carli Allen, always said the words 'hear you me' . I believe this song is a great example of how we can draw inspiration from our past experiences, good and bad. Here are some other pieces of inspiration that I feel draw on the past:






(Picture from: I am Blessed on imgfave)



This picture feels like a window into a forgotten time. It has true Victorian beauty.


In case you're looking for a fashion history lesson College Fashion has an article I love.



It doesn't have to be Halloween for you to dress like the 50s or any of the eras according to Charade.


Buildings and places all tell stories too. If you can't go where you want to go pictures and information can usually take you there.


Love you all and Stay inspired,






P.S. So let me know what you think. What are places that inspire you ? Where would you go if you had the chance to just for the experience? Do you have pictures and if you do feel free to send them in. Also, feel free to let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment